This is one of our go-to breakfast or dinner summer recipes. It is super simple and delicious!
- Bread – your choice
- Onions or shallots
- Hummus or goat cheese
- Salt & pepper
- Make your toast. I recommend a little darker toast because you are going to load it up with goodies and you don’t want it falling apart.
- Fry your bacon. I prefer turkey bacon, while Kurt prefers pork bacon. You could also do a vegan bacon.
- While the bacon cooks, slice your vegetables into thin slices. You are going to stack them on the toast, so you don’t want them too thick.
- Once the bacon is done, start assembling your toast in the below order.
- Spread the hummus or goat cheese generously on the toast.
- Add shallot or onion
- Add bacon (optional, we sometimes like it on the side instead)
- Add cucumber slices
- Add salt & pepper (just a bit)
- Add tomato slices
- Once your toast is assembled, cook the eggs sunny-side up. Add to the top of the toast & veggie tower.
- Sprinkle with salt & pepper and serve. You can also add a dash of hot sauce for some extra pizzazz.
Chatter ABout the Recipe
This is a nice light breakfast that lets you take advantage of some garden staples. Even if you don’t garden, Summer is the time of year for the freshest ingredients. Hit up a farmers market even, and enjoy someone else’s garden treasures. We find that on hot days where appetites are low, this is an excellent breakfast or dinner because it has so much cold, crunchy veggies and it doesn’t heat up the house cooking it. Yes, the stove is on, but for a very limited amount of time.
Also, experiment with other items from your garden. I have added herbs, peppers, etc, just make sure that you are cutting it so that it can be stacked with the rest of it.
On really hot days, I let the bacon cool and instead of using a hot egg, I hard boil an egg, chill it and then add egg slices to the top.