Well, the battle with the spiders continues. To prepare myself to get back to the small section of wall we had to finish building for the landing, I decided to work on wrapping the tops of each section of the wall in preparation for the caps. Would I see spiders, yes. Would I need to move or kill a few while doing the wire wrapping, yes. But, that is ok, and I was going to ease myself into building up a tolerance for them once again.
So, I grabbed our wire, some snips and a pair of gloves and headed out to start closing the cages. It is a fairly easy process. Now that all the rock is pretty much in place, I just had to bend the wire fence material over the tops, to create a lid for each section. I did have to adjust some of the rocks, and added a few to one of the sections, but overall, it is just a little tedious with tying the wires to keep the tops closed.
The short sections were the easiest because both sides of the first two sections were similar in height, so the folds to the wire was quite simple and I could follow one of the horizontal wires for a good 90* bend. Wrapping those sections, I needed to use the smaller gauge wire as we hadn’t left a lot of spikes to work with for fear of the dogs jumping that section and scraping or skewering parts of their bodies.
The next few sections were a little more difficult as there was a significant difference in the height of both ends, which made for more of an awkward bend. Also, a few of them had gotten a little fat at the tops, so I had to remove and re-sort some of the rocks in those so that it was somewhat close to the width of the posts. I didn’t want the rock sticking out on either side of the caps that I am going to add.
The good news of the day was that despite the scares, I managed to get the entire wall closed up and ready for their caps. K and I just need to finish the little landing wall first, then I can put the finishing touches on this wall and we can move onto the next!