Recipe makes approx 8 half pints
~ 12 medium peaches, peeled, pitted and cut into large chunks
~ 3 cups brown sugar
~ 2 cups granulated sugar
~ 1/2 cup lemon juice
~ 1 box pectin
~ 1/2 cup bourbon (your choice, I had Southern Comfort in my cabinet so I went with that…even though it’s not a true bourbon)
1. Peel, pit and chop the peaches. To peel, bring a pot of water to a boil and submerge the peach for 1 minute. Transfer to ice-cold water. The skin should slide off easily.
2. In a large pot, combine peaches, lemon juice and sugars. Cook over medium heat until the sugar is fully dissolved and the peaches are soft.
3. Add pectin and bring to a rolling boil (a boil that cannot be stirred down). Let boil for 5-8 minutes or until the jam gels on a frozen plate.
4. Add bourbon to the jam and stir to distribute evenly.
5. Fill jars with jam, leaving headspace. Wipe the rims clean with a clean cloth and apply lids and rings. Don’t over-tighten the lids.
6. Process in a water bath canner for 10 minutes. Move to a towel covered baking cooling rack. Leave undisturbed for a few hours while the lids seal. You will hear a popping sound and when pressure is applied to the middle of the lid, there will be no give.